You Are a Badass was one of the most talked about books this year. Jen Sincero, the author, transformed her life and lives to tell about what it takes to KNOW you matter in this world and you are indeed a badass :). Going from living in a converted garage and nothing in the bank account to becoming a New York Times best seller; she’ll have you cracking up while she shares nuggets of wisdom in this book.
Some of my favorite quotes from YOU ARE A BADASS:
“You are perfect. To think anything less is as pointless as a river thinking that it’s got too many curves or that it moves too slowly or that its rapids are too rapid. Says who? You’re on a journey with no defined beginning, middle or end. There are no wrong twists and turns. There is just being. And your job is to be as you as you can be. This is why you’re here. To shy away from who you truly are would leave the world you-less. You are the only you there is and ever will be. I repeat, you are the only you there is and ever will be. Do not deny the world its one and only chance to bask in your brilliance.”
- Once you grasp the thought, belief, and value of YOU, the way you look at life will change completely. You will begin to embrace the challenges and mishaps that happen in your life.
“If you’re serious about changing your life, you’ll find a way. If you’re not, you’ll find an excuse.”
- It’s easier to make up excuses, I have NO money, time, resources, I can’t because of my health, I wasn’t good enough for… blah blah blah… there’s plenty of excuses you can use.
- The best part about the journey is to challenge yourself to find a way and to keep pushing when roadblocks appear.
“What other people think about you has nothing to do with you and everything to do with them.”
- This is one of my favorite sayings. Not everyone is going to like you or me and that’s okay. It’s their choice not yours. When someone doesn’t really want to make those lunch plans they promised or if a someone who used to be a friend distances themselves, don’t lose sight of your light and the people that DO care and love you.
“Maybe, if you put your disbelief aside, roll up your sleeves, take some risks, and totally go for it, you’ll wake up one day and realize you’re living the kind of life you used to be jealous”
- This was me in 2011, I totally wanted in live in California and to travel and to find a career with some amazing people, become successful and write. Fast forward to today I’m living the life I did dream of.
“If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.”
- Save yourself the time and headache and just live in the present damn it! It’s okay to “sometimes” think about the past and future to reflect and plan. The biggest part about staying present is to LET GO.
“We are all perfect in our own, magnificent, fucked-up ways. Laugh at yourself. Love yourself and others. Rejoice in the cosmic ridiculousness.”
- Thanks Jen (!!!) for this wonderful reminder of our own light that needs to continue to shine inward as well as shining on others.
We have such limited time on this planet to experience life, choose to embrace who you are and love all experiences that come your way (good or bad), because at the end of the day, it’s how you show up being your true self that really counts toward happiness!
Ps you haven’t read this book, I highly recommend you do. Go order it here!