Oh Sophia Amoruso – you’re pretty f*cking amazing. Thank you for the read and the new series on NetFlix. You’ve been like a hand to hold on my journey and I wanted to blog about it.
If you’re a dreamer, have the fire in you and inspired to do something great but not sure what it is, read this book about a young Bosslady who found her way in the most unconventional way.
Below are some of the best quotes by Sophia Amoruso that resonated with me:
“The energy you’ll expend focusing on someone else’s life is better spent working on your own. Just be your own idol.”
- We find ourselves constantly comparing ourselves to others to some degree. Focus on your own lane, journey, ideas. Your reality is so different than your families, friends and neighbors. No one person will have the same exact experience on earth and that’s the beauty of it all.
“Abandon anything about your life and habits that might be holding you back. Learn to create your own opportunities. Know that there is no finish line; fortune favors action. Race balls-out toward the extraordinary life that you’ve always dreamed of, or still haven’t had time to dream up. And prepare to have a hell of a lot of fun along the way.”
- I love love LOVE this quote from Sophia. Leave it at the door, anything that does not support you in accomplishing your dreams. It could be “friends or family” who are haters, it could be people joking about your dreams and thinking that they’re ridiculous. Don’t believe them, just walk away and find support in those you will propel you. Take action on your dreams and don’t procrastinate or give into the fear.
“Money looks better in the bank than on your feet.”
- I love luxury, don’t get me wrong, but I love feeling financially secure. Getting into debt for material things so people can validate you is sooo not worth it.
“Opinions are like assholes; everybody’s got one.”
- Ha! And I have an asshole too… opinions should be only given out if asked. Otherwise keep the thoughts to yourself and if you get triggered by your own opinion, let the self reflection begin.
“Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle. —Abraham Lincoln”
- Sophia quoted this in her book, however our President Lincoln coined it as his. Wait for it… don’t settle, hustle for the opportunity and trust yourself in the knowing.
“Even with no manager watching to give me a gold star, it was important to do my best. Who cares if a tree falls in a forest and no one hears it? The tree still falls. If you believe that what you’re doing will have positive results, it will—even if it’s not immediately obvious. When you hold yourself to the same standard in your work that you do as a friend, girlfriend, student, or otherwise, it pays off.”
- No need to comment on this one… simple mic drop!
“It just means that your talents lie elsewhere, so take the opportunity to seek out what you are good at, and find a place where you can flourish. Once you do, you’re going to kill it.”
- This is such a great reminder when rejection or failure happens. Everyone has gifts and it is our journey to let them shine and honor. We can get caught up in other people’s gifts and if you do, it takes away from you blooming. Focus on what you’re good at, and if you don’t know, take chances to discover it, try things, challenge yourself and I promise your gifts will show up 🙂