“Intentions compressed into words enfold magical power.”
– Deepak Chopra
I’ve blogged earlier this year about vision boards and I’m a huge believer in visualizing and mediating the dreams and aspirations you want to create in your life.
So what are intentions?
How do you set them?
And how is it different from thinking about what you want in life?
To intend is to take action on a purpose (or goal) you set in life. I like to define intentions as the emotional vibration you send out for a particular desire to come into your reality.
When you set an intention, it’s like declaring to the universe that you are ready to receive what you want. New job? Love? Healthier lifestyle? Dream vacation? Children? Whatever your intention may be, know that you can HAVE it and create it.
This is how…
1. Use the “I AM” or “My Intention is to” statement and write it out. Find a post-it and place it in a location you visit and/or look at everyday (bathroom, computer, car).
- I AM READY TO RECEIVE _________________
- I AM CREATING _____________________ in my life
- MY intention is to create ____________________
- My intention is to receive ___________________
2. Spend 60 seconds a day acknowledging the intention you wrote down. As you look at it, get excited for what’s in store. Check out my blog: 1 minute a day meditation for a quick and effective exercise.
3. Take action! In order to have the intention come into your reality, you must take the necessary steps towards that direction.
- Is a new job that you’re passionate about your intention? Start researching or talking to people that are doing exactly what you want to do. Prepare your resume, assess additional education or skills sets you might need in order to qualify for that amazing job you want.
- Wanting love to come into your life? Put yourself out there to date, try new activities that you envision doing with your significant other, create space in your home for a significant other.
- New home? Search and visit open houses to help identify what type of home you’re looking for and assess your finances to get prepared for a new home. Also, speak with a mortgage loan officer to talk through the steps you will need to take in order to purchase your desired home.
4. Work Slay through the roadblocks of FEAR of getting what you want. Part of the life experience is to experience fear, doubt, anxiety of the unknown. The process and personal growth is to use intentions to help you overcome the challenges. The What Ifs in life can stall the creation of your intention if you allow them to…
- What if I’m a coordinator level and want to be a CEO of a company?
- What if I have horrible credit and I want to own a million dollar home?
- What if I can’t physically have children and I want my own family?
- What if I really want to be loved but I’m afraid to?
- What if I want to go back to school but I have a family to raise?
- What if I want to be a musician or actress, but it’s too competitive?
Whatever your What Ifs are, you can overcome them with persistence. Having intentions will keep you on the path of your inner most desires and they’re often tied to natural gifts you’ve been born with. It is up to YOU and only you to figure out the path and steps to accomplish them.
“Choose your intention carefully and then practice holding your consciousness to it, so it becomes the guiding light in your life.”
– John Roger